[WriteLog] ATTN: M/M, M/S, M/2 Contest Stations

Marty Tippin martyt@pobox.com
Tue, 08 May 2001 22:57:41 -0500

The single most serious deficit in WriteLog relating to multi-station
operations is the inability of the program to ensure QSO numbers are unique
(or at least not blatantly and frequently duplicated among stations) - Ron
has fixed this issue for SO2R operations on a single computer, but
apparently has no intention of fixing the problem for multi-station setups
(i.e, multiple computers, networked together) - in fact, I don't think Ron
will agree that there is even a problem to be fixed, based on earlier
exchanges on this reflector. This is unfortunate, as I'm sure there are a
number of multi-op stations whose operators probably use WriteLog for their
own single-op efforts, but won't recommend it for multi-op due to this problem.

If this single area were either completely fixed or at least made less
likely to occur, I think a lot more multi-op contest stations would
consider WriteLog over the antiquated DOS programs they're currently using.

Note also that there'll soon be another Windows-based contest logger on the
scene: The fellows that make LogWindows are working with N6TR to build a
Windows based version of the TR Log. I can guarantee you they'll figure
this multi-op stuff out! See the press release at:

http://www.qrz.com/articles/01/05/02/1223228.shtml

73,

-Marty NW0L
  martyt@pobox.com