[WriteLog] PTT or VOX

Dave L Thompson k4jrb@juno.com
Tue, 29 May 2001 20:50:11 -0400

I have been using VOX ever since I bought an SB-10 SSB adapter in 1959.
I don't see any advantage to PTT using a foot switch over VOX.  At times
I have trouble setting VOX but I always use headphones or now the Heil
Boom mic sets.  To each his or her own but I find that you can complete
the QSO quicker with VOX especially with the gang that sends the cut
numbers on SSB...say "fi nine nine" for 5909.

I use some method to cut off the mic during periods of inactivity or
listening to overcome the problem of tripping the mic which many find a
problem.  The main problem I find is that one must be careful or the
first letter (prefix) can get clipped...and this has been a problem since
1959.   If you start running into requests for a repeat of the call
prefix its time to listen to your audio in the monitor or another
Receiver and set the delay accordingly.  I fins this happens with voice
keyers and I have 4 including the one in writelog.

73 Dave K4JRB  ( K5MDX 1957 to 1973 )