[WriteLog] On screen bandmap(s)

Clive Whelan clive@gw3njw.fsworld.co.uk
Thu, 01 Nov 2001 20:41:18 -0000

 Ric Plummer wrote:
> Clearly with 14/15" monitors there is a set of tradeoffs as to what is most
> important,

Indeed.

> even then, the band map or at least a portion of it can be sized to work for
> you along with other things you deem important.

Well I just can't accomplish this, as the band map window, clearly needs to be
a finite width, even if the depth doesn't need to be much.

> Try sizing each and turning on and off things like the packet spot window as

Never use packet.

> Now, for SO2R, I have found that the investment in a second video card and
> monitor is well worth it !! I am using Windows 2000, but I believe 98SE also
> suports this

Yes a good idea. My problem is simply space in an 8ft x 6ft shack, and all the
radio gear. 98/SE certainly supports this, and it is a remarkably good idea. I
use a 14" mon, simply because it sits directly in front of me under the "first
floor" shelf. Even then the console had to be jacked up to accommodate it!
Certainly would like a 15" flat screen jobbie, but the prices need to fall
even further yet. At one point I tried desperately to get hold of an old 12 or
even 10 inch monitor for the purpose you suggest, but it seems they have all
gone to the big monitor yard in the sky.

> The second monitor is on a shelf above the first, so it's
> nearly contiguous and things like band maps and score summary and terminal
> window for packet can fit up there.

Excellent idea, maybe I could suspend one from the ceiling!

73

Clive
GW3NJW
gw3njw@gw7x.org