[WriteLog] Sound board bad audio

WA9ALS - John wa9als@starband.net
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 21:04:05 -0500

> I haven't tried it with WL but I found the same thing with my Heil
> HC4 using TRLog with SBDVP.  I built a little 30 dB audio amp and
> put it between the mic and the sound card mic in.  End of problem
> (although it does puzzle me that it was necessary to do this).

You're depressing me!  I figured one day I would get around to recording
some sound files for WriteLog (after I figured out RTTY and CW).  I have
started playing with it, just learning the ropes, using the cheapo computer
mic.  It actually sounds good to my uncritical ear.  I thought when I got
ready to record "for real", I'd just plug in my Heil HC-4 and make the
"good" recordings.  OUCH!  My audio is way down too, in agreement with the
previous 2 posts tonight.  I'm using a Creative Soundblaster Live Value card
and believe I have checked all the appropriate settings - With gain
maximized, it sounds "down and out" - low level and raspy, whereas the
cheapo computer mic sounds great.

What's everyone else doing with their Heils?  Is everyone using a boost of
some kind, or do most not have this problem?  I note it works FB with the
PROII without the preamp - I guess maybe I need it for the soundcard?  tnx