[WriteLog] Auto-Tab in Write Log

Bob Helms af5z@inetport.com
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 12:52:24 -0600

Hi Earl,

You likely have the answer by now but I'll add mine...

The movement of the cursor between the various QSO ENTRY window fields
in Write Log is set by two things:

1.  First the multiplier module, if any, determines a default setup
for the QSO exchange.

2.  You may modify the cursor movement by clicking on Write Log's
CONTEST pull down menu and then EXCHANGE FORMAT SETUP.  Click on
the field in question and observe the properties as shown on the
right side of the screen.

If the TAB ONLY box is checked, hitting a spacebar will NOT move
the cursor to the next field in the QSO ENTRY window.

If the NO SPACE CHARACTER IS ALLOWED box is checked, hitting a
spacebar WILL move the cursor to the next field.

I don't fully understand what happens if NEITHER box is checked.
I think the multiplier module determines what happens but I get
lost in the details.

In my opinion, the TAB and SHIFT-TAB commands always move to the
next or previous field.  The movement due to the SPACEBAR can be
unique due to the particular contest multiplier field.  The best
example of this is the ARRL Sweepstakes default setup....

Try typing a callsign in the Sweepstakes contest and hitting
SPACEBAR, note the cursor jumps to the NR field.  As a second
test, type the callsign in and hit TAB and note the cursor goes
to the CK field (next field to the right).  This is intentional
to make it efficient for both CQing and search & pounce operation.

Another consideration is what happens when a field is full...
I've noticed when I type more than will fit in some fields the
cursor jumps into the next field and begins to fill it but in other
fields the keystrokes are simply lost and the cursor remains in the
'overfull' field.

-	-	-

My solution is to enter some trial QSOs before the contest to try
to get all the details set since some parameters CANNOT be changed
once QSOs are entered into the log.  For example, I like OVERSTRIKE
in the RST field instead of INSERT characters.

I hope this helps clarify QSO data entry.

73,
Bob Helms, AF5Z
af5z@inetport.com