[WriteLog] "No Rig!" and no F Keys Bug

John E Bastin, K8AJS jbastin@sssnet.com
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 21:40:30 -0500

At 19:20 -0500 11/25/2001, Barry N1EU wrote:
>In a revisitation of my gremlins from CQ WW SSB, I lost F Key memory keying eight times during CQ WW CW.  At the same time, the frequency/mode button to the left of the log entry window displayed "No Rig!" and the indicator light on my rig stopped flashing.  HOWEVER, I could still set frequency by clicking on packet spots and logging of correct frequency still occurred!  A real head scratcher . . .

My previous experience with the keying loss was limited to that only; the frequency display and radio control always kept working.

>I couldn't really correlate the onset of this problem with any specific event.  In fact, once it happened in the few seconds between playing two f keys.
>
>I could not restore memory keying without exiting and restarting WL.  And yes, lose all the packet spots (ARGHHHHH).

I solve this problem (assuming your cluster is using AR software), by entering sh/fdx/20 (or 30 or 40) after I brought the packet cluster connection back up.

>Oh well.  Hope everyone enjoyed the weekend and the turn around in the propagation Sunday!

Sunday definitely made the contest worthwhile. I was getting really discouraged by Saturday night (I slept all night Friday night...did anyone else go out and see if there was any aurora? The level of A index <311 at one point> and K index <topped out at the limit of 9> between 0600Z and 0800Z on Saturday should have brought some good displays).

I missed DXCC on 10 meters by one country, but other than that the contest was fun, and WriteLog worked flawlessly (this time I used my electronic memory for keying instead of the PC). I've never been sorry I invested in this software.

Hope everyone else had a good time in the contest!

J o h n   B a s t i n           K 8 A J S
jbastin@sssnet.com         K8AJS@arrl.net
    http://www.geocities.com/~tarquin