[WriteLog] F keys all start sending CQ message

mike@uhunix2.its.hawaii.edu mike@uhunix2.its.hawaii.edu
Mon, 01 Oct 2001 10:22:56 -1000 (HST)

I used Writelog for the first time this weekend.  I was on a slow
band so it was easy to learn as I went.  I had the very latest
Writelog, version 13 of the MMTTY plugin and MMTTY 1.61b installed.
I was using a Sony Viao laptop with (brace yourself) Windows ME.
Actually I have had little trouble with ME, except it holds your
hand a great deal.  Like when you click on control panel folder,
it shows you about three control panels and you have to search
for a button that says something like "show me the actual control
panels"...

Twice during the contest, all function keys began sending the
CQ message programed into F11 mapped to F1.  The message buffers
were intact when checked.  But F2, F6, F8 any of them would
just send CQ.  I did this once to a VE6 who fortunately came
back later to try again, and to a CA station who must have
thought I was quite snooty to keep yelling CQ in his face every
time he called me.

The quick fix was to close the Rittyrite window.  It was not
needed to close the Writelog window.  Just click on the correct
option to relaunch the Rittyrite window, which restarted
the MMTTY window and all the function keys started sending the
correct messages again.

Cause: probably buffer overflow.  First time I think I was microsleeping
and toppled over onto the F1 key.  Second time I was trying to get
timed CQ to work and noticed that if you set the repeat time to less
than the message length you are off to the races hitting keys like
crazy trying to stop it.  I think something was constipated with
stacked up CQ's and each push of any function key popped one off
some stack instead of sending the correct message.

At least it was easy to fix after recognized; just close the rtty
window and reopen it.