[WriteLog] One computer versus two in SO2R contesting

WA9ALS - John wa9als@starband.net
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 20:27:29 -0500

> Actually I found it surprisingly easy unless the QSO rate was high. I did
> SO2R RTTY for the first time this past weekend, but used two computers,
one
> dedicated to each radio. It was working so well during the low rate times
> that I started wondering how this could be done with only one computer + 2
> radios and couldn't see how it could be set up - hence the question I
> posted last night.

Heck, I see it in reverse - I don't see how you can watch 2 computers and
monitors.  I've never been any good at it, but I've had SO2R going on a
single computer and single monitor.  No problem to setup, although the
1280x1024 screen is a bit tiny for my old eyes.  2 RTTYrite windows, one on
each side of the monitor.  Only one general place to watch.  Hearing both
radios and wondering which one is receiving takes a look at the screen, but
I suppose stereo headphones would eliminate that consideration.  Of course
you can also use 2 monitors with WIN98 and above, so you can still have 2
monitors but only one computer.  I'm not sure why you would network 2
computers unless you intended a multi-op, 2-station effort someday.  I know
Don and others do SO2R this way, but seems like an expensive, more
complicated way to do it.  Maybe it's done for the redundancy in case a
computer is lost during the contest?