[WriteLog] Summary: ICOM Interface cables

Jim Reisert AD1C Jim Reisert AD1C" <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu
Mon, 01 Oct 2001 22:58:32 -0400

I have found at least 4 ICOM interface cables on the 'net.  They
effectively *can* replace the CT-17 (see notes below):

Universal RS232 Serial Interface for Icom/Yaesu
  http://www.butel.nl/icomr2/icom11.html

K1NU ICOM Computer Control Interface
  http://home.att.net/~k1nu/k1nu/Products/

RTS-01 Computer Interface cable for Icom HF Radios
  http://rtsars.com/othercables_template.cfm

YAESU ADMS-1E, PGMING SOFTWARE VX-1R/5R/10R/50R
  www.hamradio.com
  http://lists.contesting.com/_writelog/2001-September/006636.html

I bought the cable from the Netherlands (first one listed above).  $40
post paid, and the turn-around from order to arrival was less than one
week!  The DB-9 connector is sealed, all the hardware is inside of it,
definitely a nice job.  Like the Yaesu cable mentioned in the previous
reflector posting, this interface outputs data on the center "ring" of
the 3.5mm plug, not the tip as my IC756 expected.  It was a simple
matter to disassemble the plug and solder the wires to the tip instead
(this is obviously NOT as sealed as the DB-9 connector was).  It's
working FB now, and I didn't need to buy a stereo to mono adapter.

I will be picking up a cable from Len K1NU for my second radio.

It's nice to get another box off the desk!

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com