[WriteLog] PTT question

Georgens, Tom tgeorgen@lsil.com
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 17:11:17 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1510F.514A7D00

I have a question about the timing of the LPT PTT signal and how it is
intended to be used.

On CW, there is a box that sets the PTT to CW delay.  I am assuming that the
purpose of this signal is to key the amp in advance of the first CW
character to resolve the race condition of the rf being applied to the amp
before the relay closes.  Building on that assumption, does the PTT signal
trail the CW by the same amount?

My question is whether I should use this signal to key the amp.  Since I do
not use an external keyer this is possible, although tuning the amp may be
an issue.  Also, I have an external beverage box that I need to switch when
I transmit.  If the PTT signal provides clearance on both sides of the
transmitted CW, it should be usable to prevent power from being dumped into
the beverage during a TR transition.

Likewise, what is the analog condition on SSB?  How does the PTT signal
function relative to the microphone audio? This applies to both the recorded
messages and the microphone pass through.

If this is in the manual, let me know but I did not see it anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your help

Tom W2SC

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1510F.514A7D00

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>PTT question</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I have a question about the timing of the LPT PTT =
signal and how it is intended to be used.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>On CW, there is a box that sets the PTT to CW =
delay.&nbsp; I am assuming that the purpose of this signal is to key =
the amp in advance of the first CW character to resolve the race =
condition of the rf being applied to the amp before the relay =
closes.&nbsp; Building on that assumption, does the PTT signal trail =
the CW by the same amount?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>My question is whether I should use this signal to =
key the amp.&nbsp; Since I do not use an external keyer this is =
possible, although tuning the amp may be an issue.&nbsp; Also, I have =
an external beverage box that I need to switch when I transmit.&nbsp; =
If the PTT signal provides clearance on both sides of the transmitted =
CW, it should be usable to prevent power from being dumped into the =
beverage during a TR transition.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Likewise, what is the analog condition on SSB?&nbsp; =
How does the PTT signal function relative to the microphone audio? This =
applies to both the recorded messages and the microphone pass =
through.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>If this is in the manual, let me know but I did not =
see it anywhere.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks in advance for your help</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Tom W2SC</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>