[WriteLog] Recording question

Georgens, Tom tgeorgen@lsil.com
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 19:54:46 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C15A94.24D6EF90

I am planning to record the WW SSB contest using Writelog and I have been
searching the archives for tips.

Some people (W2UP, K3WW) have mentioned using MPEG level 3 which could
record the entire contest in under 400MB.  This has the added benefit of
fitting on a CD for more permanent archive.  However, I do not have an MPEG
choice under Writelog for compression options.  Is this a function of
Writelog or the sound card I am using?

Assuming that I cannot use MPEG, what other settings have other people used
successfully that could fit in 800MB.  This is about 4KB/sec

I have tried a few and one of the Microsoft ADPCM options sounded best for
4KB/Sec.  I suppose another option is to record it with high quality and try
to compress it afterwards with software but I suspect that will be a long
job.

Thanks for your help,

Tom W2SC (8P5A or 8P1A next weekend)

------_=_NextPart_001_01C15A94.24D6EF90

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Recording question</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I am planning to record the WW SSB =
contest using Writelog and I have been searching the archives for =
tips.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Some people (W2UP, K3WW) have =
mentioned using MPEG level 3 which could record the entire contest in =
under 400MB.&nbsp; This has the added benefit of fitting on a CD for =
more permanent archive.&nbsp; However, I do not have an MPEG choice =
under Writelog for compression options.&nbsp; Is this a function of =
Writelog or the sound card I am using?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Assuming that I cannot use MPEG, what =
other settings have other people used successfully that could fit in =
800MB.&nbsp; This is about 4KB/sec</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I have tried a few and one of the =
Microsoft ADPCM options sounded best for 4KB/Sec.&nbsp; I suppose =
another option is to record it with high quality and try to compress it =
afterwards with software but I suspect that will be a long =
job.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks for your help,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Tom W2SC (8P5A or 8P1A next =
weekend)</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>