[WriteLog] First Contest Use Observations

Anthony R. Gargano n2ss@home.com
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 23:35:37 -0500

I used Writelog for the first time this past weekend in the CQWW contest.
Rig was an Icom 756 PRO. I liked it better than CT but I did encounter some
annoyances. Here are my observations and perhaps the more experienced users
might have some helpful suggestions/comments for me.

1) Make a QSO, hit the enter key, the Q goes in and the PC is essentially
immediately available. However, hit the enter key while transmitting and
the rig stays in the transmit for an extra couple of hundred milliseconds.
Annoying when running stations at a good clip.

2) Noticed that once in a while after hitting the enter key, the QSO was
not recorded into the log. Had to then hit the enter a 2nd time.

3) When clicking in the 'point and shoot' window or on the band, the QSY
didn't occur every time. Many times the call had to be clicked multiple
times before the rig actually QSY'd.

4) Several times the QSO entered into the log had a "B" next to the
sequence number, showed as zero points and on closer inspection the
frequency recorded was scrambled. When that occurred no form of editing
seemed to correct the problem. Delete the entry, hit the enter key again
and the QSO would be accepted the 2nd time.

5) When clicking on a packet callout or bandmap call, execution of 40 Meter
splits was erratic.

I was using 10.28C. During the course of the contest I changed the polling
time from the 500 ms default to 250 ms. Didn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any comments. Tony N2SS