[WriteLog] WL maiden voyage

Dan Reese, N9XX Dan Reese, N9XX" <n9xx@wi.rr.com
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 10:56:14 -0500

Finally got a bug out of my system and ordered WL yesterday.  I guess I've been
listening to K9JY and K9GY touting its benefits long enough!  The other major
motivator was to work NAQP CW.  My trusty old CT has never supported NA, but I
would often fudge it by using their ARRL DX/DX-side mode.  Another motivation
was that I could make my payment through PayPal, where I've had a little cash
burning a hole in that virtual pocket.

Seems to be money well-spent!  I wasn't doing NAQP with any seriousness, as my
station is always a handicap.  It took about a half hour to figure out how to
get the radio control working with my TS-850 and W1GEE interface on COM2, AND my
existing CW keying line on LPT1, but work it did.  And this is on Windows 95
(pre-OSR-anything) running on a lame 486SX-class machine.  This won't be the
long-term configuration, but just curious as to how easily I could make the
transition from CT9 to WL on the same old computer.

Jumped into NAQP and was fairly quickly into the swing of things, just using the
most basic one-radio logging functions.  Worked the contest for a few hours, and
had no problems whatsoever.  I just need to start digging under the surface now!

Thanks to K5DJ for processing my order so quickly!  Hello to this list, and
looking forward to being part of it.

73, Dan N9XX
n9xx@wi.rr.com