[WriteLog] Hello Writelog!

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au@bellsouth.net
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 22:17:20 -0500

John's got a good point.  I know WriteLog has won a LOT of RTTY
contests but don't know about the other modes.

If there is a problem, I don't think it is so much a fault of Writelog.  It seems
to be more of a product of Windows and the many different environments
Writelog is required to operate under.

Writelog does so many things in so many different ways and the program
has become so powerful that it's nearly impossible for anyone on a part-time
basis to keep up the documentation.   Wayne does an excellent job with WL.
Wayne has a full-time job and it's not WriteLog.

WriteLog does not have to be complicated.  It can be a simple contest
program if you want to use it that way.  Because of the nature of us hams,
we never satisfied with a basic tool.  We have to play with it and try to
get the most out of it that we can and even more.  And we do just that with
Writelog.  I think some of us are doing things with Writelog that Wayne
didn't even dream about (or maybe he did - hi).

The fun part about Writelog is not only using it in a contest, but trying to
maximize the software to get what you want out of it.

And don't think you can turn it on and run it two minutes before the contest
starts because it doesn't work that way.  Just like any other piece of software,
you have to become intimate with it if you really want it to work for you.  Take
a program like Microsoft Excel.  You can't actually expect someone to open
it up and start creating databases right off the bat do you?  I've been working
with Excel for many years and I still can't figure out it's Help file!  It never tells
me what I want to know.  Fortunately for Writelog users, there's this reflector.

I could go on and on but I won't.  It's the best piece of contest software on
the market IMHO.

If you are afraid to use it, it certainly isn't going to work for you.  Jump in
and try it.  There's plenty of people on this reflector, including me, that are
willing to help you.

73, Don AA5AU