[WriteLog] CW and network

W. Wright, W5XD w5xd@writelog.com
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 04:37:09 -0000

> I'm thinking that the W5XD keyer may be the solution to the problem,
> but I'm still going to be interfacing through the USB adapter. Is
> anyone using this setup and can comment whether it successfully
> cleans up the CW from the computer?

The Multi-keyer does "work" on some USB connected serial ports. (I have
tested with the USB to dual RS-232 from www.byterunner.com). I have to put
"work" in quotes because there are a couple of deficiencies you might or
might not be willing to live with. The transmitted CW is near-perfect. The
hassle is that the communication between the PC and the Multi-keyer causes
some pauses and jerks in WriteLog's keyboard response. These are due to the
slowness of the transfer from the PC to the keyer through the slow response
of the modem control lines on the USB/COM port (the multi-keyer talks
through DTR/DSR, RTS/CTS). The transmitted CW has good timing regardless of
this, because there is a microprocessor inside that times it out.

Wayne