[WriteLog] Com Ports

K4SB hamcat@directvinternet.com
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 03:35:55 +0000

>I am using a Socket dual I/O card in my Laptop. Prior to today it read Com 2
> &3, Computer crashed and I reloaded everything.

Ah, this is a common occurance with W98. 2 possibilities.

If you formated the HD, and then reloaded, you have to do so without
the I/0 card installed. For some reason 98 doesn't like to handle
uncommon features on its initial install.

If you simply "reloaded everything", it somehow "remembers" that a
"comm 2 and 3" existed at one time. So, doing it's logical thing, it
assigns comports higher.

Solution is to remove the ports in device manager, power down, remove
the card, power up and it should show the comm ports. ( is this case,
none ). Power down, install the card and 98 should do its "plug and
prey" thing.

Also, in device manager, since comm 3 is still OK, see if you can
manually change
Comm 5s address and IRQ. Windows may say it's comm 5 in the display,
but it will act on interrogation as to what is actually there in the
system.ini file.

73
Ed