[WriteLog] Ports

Jim McDonald jim@n7us.net
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 12:17:50 -0700

I have a Belkin F5U012, which is a USB hub with 3 USBs, 1 serial, and I
parallel.  I paid $83 a couple of years ago, but they seem to be closing
them out now for $46.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=200454&pcount=&Product_Id=20806&Section.Section_Path=%2F%2FRoot%2FBelkinBlowouts%2F

Jim N7US

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
To: "Bob Crossland" <Bob.Crossland@adelphia.com>; <writelog@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 6:26 AM
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Ports

Some excellent reading on all the posts to this subject.  John is
correct in saying to use the on-board COM port for FSK.  However,
I've asked Santa Claus to bring me a Belkin F5U103 USB-to-Serial adapter.

I know the F5U103 works on FSK because Dick, KD6AZN, uses one for
FSK transmission from his QTH is Japan (7J1BBC).  However, many report
they can't get it work on FSK.  I mainly want one so I can have radio
control
from my work laptop which has only one COM port.  I understand some
Toshiba laptops don't even come with a COM port.

Hopefully Santa Claus will bring the F5U103 and I will test it on FSK and
report
back my findings, probably on my website, but I'll announce it here.
Hopefully
I can have this done by the Roundup.

Personally, if I had the choice.  I'd buy the Dell with 2 COM ports and add
an
expansion board.  But USB is going to be the way to go in the future, we
might
need to get familiar with it now so we will know how to integrate it into
our
shacks now and in the future.

73, Don AA5AU