[WriteLog] Ports

K4SB hamcat@directvinternet.com
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 19:20:38 +0000

Jim Brannigan wrote:
> Now, when you can get a fully warranted Dell for $700 or less, it really
> doesn't pay to build....
> Jim

Jim's post does make a lot of sense, but in this area, I can build a
comparable setup for about $500, including monitor.

What I would caution about is that Dell, among others, do not use the
exact version of Windows which you would obtain if you bought your own
copy. In other words, it's proprietary to Dell, just as the Gateway
one is to them. The Dell OS is not the same as the Gateway OS,
although both may be called XP.

Also, some of the components ( most notably modems ) cannot be
replaced by a common off the rack one if the original fails. Some work
fine, but on one Dell I worked on, I tried about 3 different ones,
before just giving up, and buying a replacement Dell, at, I might add,
about 3 times the going rate for a 56K.

Also, on a lot of these machines, access to the BIOS if either
impossible or difficult to say the least.

And on a "barebones system" do not EVER buy one without the CPU
installed. There are a lot of jumpers to set, but if you buy the MB
with the CPU, they do it for you. Or you can make a mistake like I did
last week, and with 1 jumper overlooked, smoke the motherboard.

Lastly, I would like to thank all of you on the reflector for your
help during the year.
Without you, I would still not have WL working. You're a great bunch.

73
Ed