[WriteLog] Dual Monitors

Rick Commo Rick.Commo@verizon.net
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 07:50:31 -0800

Probably should have re-titled this reply to something like "WinXP HE vs.
Pro".

I re-visited www.microsoft.com/xp looking for the differences.  I had see a
simple table with check marks for features.  Maybe it wasn't a Microsoft
site.

But here are the primary differences that I came up with:

+-------------+-----+-----+
| Feature     | HE  | Pro |
+-------------+-----+-----+
| dual view   | yes | yes | *
+-------------+-----+-----+
| dual CPU    | no  | yes |
+-------------+-----+-----+
| remote term | no  | yes | **
| connection  |     |     |
+-------------+-----+-----+
| encrypting  | no  | yes |
| file system |     |     |
+-------------+-----+-----+
| domain      | no  | yes |
| membership  |     |     |
+-------------+-----+-----+
| IIS part of | no  | yes |
| the install |     |     |
+-------------+-----+-----+

* neither the HE site or Pro site specifically mentioned multiple cards.  I
have to check but I think that Pro offers support for more than two monitors
though, something like four as I recall.  Perhaps that is what I remembered
was that there was some difference between HE and Pro in the area of monitor
support.

Is anyone out there using Pro or HE with more than one video card?

** this feature is along the lines of Terminal Services and might be
different than the so called "Desktop Assistant".  I have never played with
the latter.

Cheers,
-rick