[WriteLog] %I - a great SO2R tool!

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au@bellsouth.net
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 13:48:06 -0600

Thanks to Phil, GU0SUP, for pointing out the %I character
used in the memory buffers.  Gee, I never knew it existed!

%I pops up a box in which you type in anything you want,
hit return and it is sent.  This is a tremendous help in SO2R operation,
especially on RTTY, when serial numbers are part of the exchange.

When you are in QSO with two stations at the same time, you
can send the serial number shown in the Entry Window to the first
station and while you are in the process of receiving that first station's
report you can send a buffer to the 2nd station that looks like this:

%R%C 599 %I BK%E

When it gets to %I, a box pops up and you can manually type in
the next serial number available to the 2nd station.  I've tested and it
works beautifully.  I can't wait to use it.  And I know I will use it as
this happens a lot, especially in a big contest like WPX RTTY.

I plan on putting this buffer in the SHIFT key of my normal exchange key (F3).

For other ways of handling serial numbers when SO2R, I wrote up
something on the AA5AU WriteLog website earlier this week.  I will
include this new information when I get a chance.

Thanks Phil!
73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com