[WriteLog] WIN XP

Bob Green bjgreen@eee.org
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:20:02 -0800

Hi Wayne from Maine--

That's right... Each copy of Win XP can be installed on ONE computer only!

There is a 50-digit code that gets sent to Microsoft during registration.
This code tells them about your computer's HDD, video card, processor,
memory, etc. etc. If you change even one of these things, Win XP might think
it is a different computer and refuse to work. This can easily be solved by
calling Microsoft and explaining the difference (new HDD, new video card
etc.) They will then give you a new AUTHENTICATION code (also 50-digits) and
you can enter it into your machine and everything will be OK.

Perhaps if you have two IDENTICAL computers, you might be able to sneak
around this, but I doubt it.

The choice is simple: pay for the extra legit copy of Win XP, or just use it
on one machine.

I suppose there are those who think this is just another example of Bill
Gates being greedy, but this is the first time they can enforce the concept
of "One copy on ONE computer". Previous versions only said you were licensed
to use it on one machine, but they had no way to prevent multiple installs.
Now they do.

By the way, when I tried to UNINSTALL win XP and go back to Win 98SE nothing
worked. I had to reformat and reload Win 98SE.  Good Luck es 73,

Bob Green