[WriteLog] bandwith for rtty

Marty Tippin martyt@pobox.com
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 09:55:10 -0600

The mostly likely problem for those of you using one of the SSB modes to
receive RTTY signals is that the passband isn't centered correctly for
tuning a RTTY signal when you have a narrow filter engaged. The normal
center of the passband in SSB is somewhere around 1200Hz - with a 500Hz
filter, you're only hearing the 950 to 1450Hz segment. But the RTTY signal
is centered near 2125Hz, so you won't print it.

Adjust the IF shift until the signals are strong and printable and you'll
be in business.

Alternatively, you can use "low tones" and receive RTTY signals in the SSB
passband. It's not recommende for a few reasons, mainly because of the
opportunity for harmonics when you transmit. With the normal "high" RTTY
tones, the second harmonic is well out of the passband of the filters so
it's suppressed naturally; on low tones, the second harmonic is at the
upper end of the SSB passband.

Many of us routinely use 250Hz filters with no issues at all, so it's not a
matter of bandwidth, but a matter of bandpass instead.

-Marty NW0L
  martyt@pobox.com