[WriteLog] Byterunner USB-4COM-110V Experience ??

Mike Rhodes weightdn@bright.net
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 19:47:34 -0500

  Wondering if anyone has had occassion to play with the above mentioned
Byterunner USB to 232 converter ($125) or its siblings? I have the 4S/2P ISA
card from Byterunner (TC-420) but can't seem to get it running since I went
to a 40gig HD with a PCI ATA100 adapter. Suspect the ATA card is the culprit
but apparently eliminating the ATA card is not just a matter of swapping the
cable back to the onboard IDE controller - at least it didn't work the one
time I tried it.
  I'm thinking (hoping) that the onboard serial ports could be used for the
packet TNC and FSK/CW connections and the USB>232 ports would be ok for rig
control, modem, PK232 TU, and whatever else I can think to hook up (rotor
control someday). I know there have been issues mentioned in the past but
think a lot of it was around 5 vs 8 level and response times. Hopefully the
items I choose to hang off the converter would be able to tolerate any
timing issues.
  Your thoughts/experiences?? The price is pretty reasonable and could
possible make things a lot simpler for the laptop users too.
  Thanks.

Mike / W8DN