[WriteLog] TS-2000 & Laptop

Steve Dyer sdyer@interlogue.com
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 13:26:33 -0700

West Mountain Radio http://www.westmountainradio.com/ is recommending and
selling a specific USB-Serial adaptor made by IOGEAR for $34.95. I would
assume it is tested to work with the Rigblaster.

Steve, W1SRD

-----Original Message-----
From: writelog-admin@contesting.com
[mailto:writelog-admin@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Don Hill AA5AU
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 12:41 PM
To: WriteLog Reflector
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] TS-2000 & Laptop

Jack et al,

With only one serial port on the laptop, you will be forced to use
the USB port one way or the other in order to run FSK.

I've been studying this USB thing all day today.  From what I can
gather, you will need to get a USB-to-Serial adapter.  And that may or
may not be easier said than done.

It has been documented that not all USB-to-Serial adapters will run
FSK.  Some will and some won't.  However, it has also been documented
that most USB-to-Serial adapters can be used for radio control, but
not all of them.

So the problem is knowing which USB-to-Serial adapters to buy.  It
may be more beneficial to use the USB-to-Serial adapters for radio
control and use the serial port on the laptop for FSK (I am assuming
you will be running FSK and not AFSK for RTTY).

Since you mentioned PSK31, perhaps you are thinking of using
only AFSK.  In this case, you don't need a USB-to-Serial adapter at all
since AFSK is strictly using the soundcard to generate the RTTY & PSK31
audio
tones and you would use radio control via your COM to key PTT.

However, I cannot imagine anyone with a radio that has FSK not using
it for RTTY.

Your laptop must have a sound card in order to use WinRTTY, which is
the WriteLog RTTY "program" and is installed when WriteLog is installed.
WinRTTY uses the "WriteLog RTTY Receiver" to decode signals received
from a sound card and has it's own on screen tuning indicator (which I might
add is the best on screen tuning indicator I've ever used).

If your laptop does not have a sound card, then you could still get on
RTTY using an external TNC such as a PK232 or HAL DXP-38.  But again,
you would need an extra serial port and would need a USB-to-Serial adapter
if you want to run an external TNC and still have radio control.  It is
recommended
not giving up rig control even if you have to buy a USB-to-Serial adapter in
order to have it.  Radio control will give you PTT.

Since you mentioned that you were running Win2000, I am guessing your
laptop has a sound card.  In this case, by all means, get RTTY up and
running
using the WriteLog RTTY Receiver.  Once you get comfortable with that, you
might consider using the MMTTY Plug-in for WriteLog which is available
from the WriteLog website.  Support for the MMTTY Plug-in for WriteLog
can be found at www.geocities.com/writelog which is a support site that
I maintain and not to be confused with the official WriteLog website at
www.writelog.com.

Getting back to your questions about cables.  Yes, you will need cables one
way or the other.  For information on what cables may be needed for either
AFSK or FSK, PTT, etc. refer to "Getting Started on RTTY" at
www.aa5au.com/rtty.  The discussion is geared toward MMTTY, but the
hardware connections are the same.

If you are in a hurry to get up and running you could always buy one of the
3 RIGblaster models which put isolations transformers and opto-isolators
for the various required interface cables and circuits all in a neatly made
package
but for a pretty price.  Only the RIGblaster Plus will run FSK.

Now getting back to the main reason I replied (other than trying to help
Jack),
I was wondering if those out there using USB-to-Serial adapters could
comment
on the specific brand, make and model of the one(s) they are using and if
they
know if they run FSK, radio control on a certain radio, and/or PTT.

I would like to start a list of different USB-to-Serial adapters and what
they will
or will not do and put them on the "Getting Started on RTTY" web pages.

Thanks and sorry for the long reply, but hey, he asked for answers! hi
73, Don AA5AU