[WriteLog] KAM Transmit on RTTY?

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au@bellsouth.net
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 21:23:59 -0500

Not sure what the problem is with the KAM these days.
I just pulled one out of the closet that my dad gave me back in
May.  It's one of the original KAM's.  Not the 98 or Plus model.

I plugged it into my COM 2, connected a DB 9 to DB 25 serial
cable.  Applied power and in RTTYrite, selected COM 2 and
KAM and it came right up.  Hmmm.

First to look at is your writelog.ini file.  Under [PORTS] in my writelog.ini
file I have this showing for COM 2:

COM2:=9600,N,8,1,x

The book says you should use 9600 first.  I remember I had another
original KAM many years ago.  It was my first commercial TNC.  It
would work on 9600 only.  Never could talk to it at any other speed.

I remember I upgraded the EPROM in it to 6.0 or 7.0 - one of them
dot ohs... and I remember using it with WriteLog.  It would initialize
but would not be in the correct state after that.  In order to put it to the
correct state and get it to copy RTTY, I had to click either FSK-Norm!
or FSK-REV! and it would start working.  You can tell when this happens
because after it first initializes, the bar indicator would stay all the way to
the right (I think).  After click either FSK-REV! or FSK-Norm!, the bar
indicator would go back to the center where it should be with no audio
coming into the unit.

If you are still having problems, try changing around the Port setting in
the writelog.ini file.  Try each of the following but not at the same time
of course:

COM2=9600,N,8,1,
COM2=9600,N,8,1
COM2=9600,N,8,
COM2=9600,N,8

Perhaps you will hit on something.

Something else that pops into mind is something about the cable used.  I
remember I used to go into a 25 pin serial port on my old computer.  If I
used a cable that was pin-for-pin connected all the way through, it would
not work.  However, if I used a cable that had only the essential wires needed,
then it worked.  Are you using a 25 pin or 9 pin serial port on your computer?

I have seen several posts saying there were problems with the KAM 98 or
the KAM Plus, but I've never seen any definitive fix.  If you find the fix, let
me know and I will post it on my WriteLog website so that next time we
come across this problem, we will have somewhere to look.

Thanks & GL,
Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.geocities.com/writelog