[WriteLog] serial interface PCI expansion boards

Dave W7DPW w7dpw@attbi.com
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:59:18 -0700

The UART takes the 5-bit parallel Baudot code and converts it into a serial
stream and its start(1) and stop(1.5) bits on transmit and conversely on
Receive, it converts the 5-bit serial code, along with its start(1) and stop
bits(1.5), and converts to parallel 5-bit code.  The transmitted code
appears on the TxD line.  The stop bit is not always 1.5 but in anycase is
determined by the LineControlRegister(LCR) Bit-2.

For Information on UART look at the following WebPage:

http://www.byterunner.com/16550.html

The Line Control Register (LDR) determines the data format . WordLength
Bit-0,1

Additional Information at:

http://www.byterunner.com/why.html

Dave W7DPW