[WriteLog] New User Needs Help

Bill Turner w7ti@dslextreme.com
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:05:37 -0700

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 06:43:48 -0500, Dave-KB4ET wrote:

>   I recently purchased a copy of WriteLog, installed MMTTY along with the
>MMTTY Plugin for Writelog. I start up Writelog and select NAQP (rtty),
>click on rtty window and the control panel of MMTTY appears. I can tune in
>sigs BUT where is the Rx/TX window ?? I can't tell who I'm tuning in..
>Hopefully, if I can get this thing running, I can play around in the NAQP -
>RTTY this week end.. Tnx - Dave - kb4et

It sounds like you may have one window covered by another.  Move
them around using standard Windows techniques and see.  If you're
seeing the MMTTY window, try minimizing it and the standard RTTY
window will probably be underneath it.

If still no luck, go to the main entry window (the one where you
enter the other guy's call) and click on Window >> RTTY Window
and you should see it.

After you get all the windows arranged like you like, be sure to
go to the main entry window and click on Setup >> Save
Configuration.

The following is slightly off topic, but you might want to do
this after you get everything running ok.

If you also use CW or SSB, you can make things easier for
yourself by having a separate writelog.ini file for each mode.
Writelog.ini is stored in your c:\windows\ folder.  Here's how I
do it:

1.  Get your RTTY setup the way you want it.
2.  As above, click on Setup >> Save Configuration.  Close
WriteLog.
3.  Using Windows Explorer, find the writelog.ini file.
4.  Open the file using Notepad or other text editor (don't use a
word processing program such as Word or WordPerfect)
5.  Without making any changes, do a "save as" with the name
writelog.rtty.
6.  Open WriteLog again and set it up for CW/SSB.
7.  Repeat steps 2 through 6 except save as with the name
writelog.cw or writelog.ssb and DO NOT CHECK the RTTY window to
open at startup.
8.  The next time you want to change from RTTY to CW/SSB or vice
versa, first open the appropriate writelog.xxx file and rename it
to writelog.ini.

I use a simple DOS batch file (actually two of them) to do the
changing.  Here are the ones I use:

For changing to RTTY:

copy c:\windows\writelog.rtty c:\windows\writelog.ini
c:\ham\2002NAQP.wl

The second line also opens the current .wl contest file and
starts Writelog itself.

For changing to CW:

copy c:\windows\writelog.cw c:\windows\writelog.ini
c:\ham\cw.wl

Again, the second line starts WriteLog in a non-contest CW mode.
In both batch files, the .wl file has to already be in existence
- the execution will hang if the batch file can't find it.  I
have two icons on my desktop and changing over is a matter of
simply double-clicking the mode I want.

This method of using batch files works quite well, but you have
to remember if you change the configuration during use, you have
to go back and copy the writelog.ini file over to .rtty or .cw as
appropriate.

This is probably more information than you wanted, but I hope it
helps.  :-)

Bill, W7TI