[WriteLog] [RTTY] Multi-port serial boards

wa9als wa9als@starband.net
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 07:22:21 -0500

I complained quite a bit a few years ago about the Byterunner 8-port PCI
card.  It wouldn't install.  The service tech sent me the very latest
drivers, and after about 5-10 minutes on the phone with him, he said to
forget it and send it back.  He told me that there were "known issues" with
certain systems, and that they had a "team in Taiwan working on it".  That
was enough for me!  Who knows at this point?  Apparently their ISA products
work well, but...

I ended up the Rocketport 8-port PCI card, and it has worked fine, but as I
remember, it was about $300 - maybe not that bad for 8 ports.  It does 7-
and 8-bit, so no 5-bit Baudot.  I don't know of ANY pulg-in card serial port
adapter or USB serial adapter that does FSK Baudot properly.  Some try - The
Belkin USB product and the Connect Tech White Heat product both "sort of"
try to do it, but there are timing issues and other that makes them unusable
for FSK on the TxD line of the com port.

I'm currently using 2 motherboard serial ports for FSK/PTT lines to 2 radios
in 1 machine.  That machine uses the White Heat USB serial adapter for
additional com ports (rig control etc).  The other computer sometimes used
by my son, or for multi-op, has the Rocketport in it for rig control and
other, but does the FSK on a motherboard serial port.  73