FW: [WriteLog] CW keying & XP

Gerry Smith w6ter@att.net
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:45:24 -0600

OK & thanks. I do have an extra com port. I will have to build the cable
and try it. Do you know if I can key the radio from DX4WIN over the com
port?

Gerry Smith, W6TER
505-281-2721

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave [mailto:nr1dx@arrl.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2002 5:30 PM
To: Gerry Smith
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] CW keying & XP

Gerry
DX4WIN has it's own "driver" already written for XP/parallel port
keying.
Writelog does not (yet...maybe in a later release if enough folks bitch
and
moan to Ron). XP / Microsoft essentially disabled all calls to the LPT
through the operating system because this apparently was one of their
biggest headaches related to the "blue screen of death" .The printer
guys
all had to write new drivers for XP,  The logging software guys are
catching up..slowly. If you have on extra PCI slot lots of reasonable
1,2
and 4 COM PCI cards around (Comp USA sells a generic 2-COM card for
around
29.95 as I recall)

In my case I have totally switched over running 10 COM ports and One LPT
(
for printer) for a SO2R station here, 2 sound cards, dual monitors etc
etc.

As Paul Harvey says ..."and now you know the rest of the story"