[WriteLog] re: network ...

FRANCIS FLYNN fflynn@adelphia.net
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:29:20 -0400

The K9jy page has some good reading for you if you have not checked that
out already.
Aside from that, run msconfig and turn off any processes you don't need,
on some of
the laptops we are using for FD, there were a *whole lot* of them.
Choose "selective
startup" and turn off all the usual startup stuff.  You might also want
to use TCP/IP
instead of netbeui.  You must then manually assign IP addresses for each
machine,
under Network in the control panel.  Good luck, see you on the air as
W1moo in Vermont.

Sounds like you just have a lot of background applications running, also
turn off any
battery saving features, some of them you have to go into bios to turn
off.

The k9jy page is www.k9jy.com, has some good tutorials, reading this
helped me out.

-Fran Km1z

From: Dustin Moore <moored@pixelogix.com>
To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Network Dies

I've searched the reflector archives back 6 months and I can't find
anyone
mentioning this problem so I pose it to the group at large:

I have three computers here on the house network and I'm testing my
field day setup. One of the computers is a laptop and it seems to
have a problem holding a connection. All of the machines have Win98
SE and netbios configured and they can all see each other in Network
Neighborhood. The two towers can connect to each other just fine and
exchange call information but the laptop has trouble. When a tower
connects to the laptop (machine N7ry and display name LAPTOP) it
logs:

Exchange fields verified OK.
Established connection to N7ry
Initiating reciprocal connection.
Received QSOs at 5. Merging.
Lost connection to LAPTOP

Both towers loose their connection to the laptop 5 or so seconds
after the "Received...Merging" line prints out. On the other side the
laptop logs:

Exchange fields verified OK.
Established connection to MIKES$95
Initiating reciprocal connection.
Received QSOs at 5. Merging.

Any ideas on why might cause the laptop to drop incoming connections
after a brief period of time