[WriteLog] Slightly of-topic; Replacing Linear Amp

Jerry Flanders jeflanders@comcast.net
Sun, 03 Mar 2002 12:17:41 -0500

At 01:31 AM 3/3/2002 -0500, Frank Grossman (WB2BXO) wrote:
>I'd like to tap into the expertise of DX4WIN and Writelog users on this
>one...
>
>My venerable SB-220 amplifier has finally gone to the big shack in the sky
>after more than 25 years of faithful service.  I'm thinking of replacing it
>with an Ameritron 811A or 811H. (I can't run a full legal limit amp in an
>apartment)

You didn't ask, but remember that most amps will let you optionally run it
off 110 at a lower power level if you wire it that way. You might possibly
get a bigger amp than necessary and run it very conservatively.

>Several questions:
>
>1.  Is there anything I should know about the Ameritron 811 amps?  Known
>design flaws, etc?

I don't know, but Ameritron has been making amps for a LONG TIME now.
Presumably they know how.

>2.  Do I need Ameritron's "Icom interface" to use the amp with my IC-765?
>Why or why not?

Find out the amp interface specs and see if your rig can handle it.
Ameritron would be glad to tell you what is required. You will get extra
peace of mine with an additional interface level, but it will cost a few bucks.

>3.  There are two versions of the QSK option--standalone and PC-board.
>What's the difference? (Other than $80-someodd dollars)

It seems to be the same circuit - one is cnclosed in your amp, the other is
enclosed in an external extra-cost box with extra-cost connectors and you
will need jumpers to connect it all up.

>4. What will I need to do for 10 meter operation?  Is there a Web site with
>details of the mod?

Ameritron will tell you the mod after you buy it, with proof of license.

>Thanks in advance for the bandwidth!
>
>73,
>Frank

Jerry W4UK