[WriteLog] IT WORKS!!![WriteLog]Anyone using WinVNC or PC Anywhere with WriteLog?

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au@bellsouth.net
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 09:35:19 -0600

Barry et al,

The main reason I got this going was to be able to work DX from
my office using my home station.  I would never even consider using
this type of system for contesting, it would be too slow and awkward.
Although with the high speed connection I'm using, it's doesn't seem
too slow at all.

You can get all the information off their website, it's quite helpful.
And you can download it from there - it's free.

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/winvnc.html

Basically, this is how it works.  I would leave my PC at home turned on with
WinVNC running.  From any PC connected to the Internet, I go to a
web browser and enter the IP address of my router.  My router has
been set up to allow a certain port to access a particular PC.  When
the connection is made, VNC asks for a password.  I enter the password
and now the desktop on my PC at home is showing in the web browser
along with two pointers side-by-side - one pointer is the local PC's pointer
and the other one is the remote PC's pointer.  VNC also has it's own
viewer instead of using a web browser - either will work.

This program was written as a troubleshooting tool for IT people to be
able to remotely install and repair problems on remote computers.  I don't
know if it can be effectively used as a contest tool and I have no interest
in that.

With Ducie Island due up soon, it would be nice to work them if they
showed up on RTTY while I was at work.  Imagine P5/4L4FN showing up
on RTTY, my friend Bill W7TI has VNC running and gives me his IP address
and password (Bill would have to be a VERY good friend for me to do this).
I run VNC on his PC in California and work the P5 through his station because
I can't hear the P5 or break the pileup from W5 land.  So it does have far-reaching
effects on our hobby.

Thanks for everyone who has responded.  I will try to answer each of you
individually.  There have been some excellent suggestions.  The audio part of
the equation should be easy to do (over the Internet).  You could easily set up
a web cam to monitor everything too.  A kill switch would be nice.  All this is
toeing the limits of legality.  But Amateurs are always trying to find ways of
pushing the envelope.  The Internet has made it all the more interesting.

Instead of wasting bandwidth here on the reflector, I'll try to get something going
on my personal website on my progress.  Others have reported doing something
similar to this using WriteLog.  This is really good stuff.

73, Don AA5AU
www.aa5au.com