[WriteLog] Writelog and mmtty hangs

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au@bellsouth.net
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:18:58 -0500

I've never, ever seen this problem.  I've heard about and thought about
it but can't possibly think what it might be.

I ran MMTTY on both Win98SE machines - a Pentium I 200 mhz and a
Pentium II 333 mhz.  I ran FSK on both.

One thing I do when contesting is stop everything else that might possibly
use memory that I don't need like my keyboard manager, Norton protection, etc.

Before starting a contest, I reboot my machine to clear it's RAM.

I think the only way for you people having problems with this is to compile
information on what each of you run like what kind of processor, how much
RAM, Windows version, etc. and see if there is a common thread.  Are you
running FSK or AFSK.

Are you using PC PTT?  Could it be RF on the FSK line?  I had RF on the FSK
one time and it gave me a continuos tone when I transmitted.  I've since wrapped
my FSK cable going to the radio around a ferrite rod.  I have ferrites EVERYWHERE.

If you are using an interface circuit for FSK, how far is the circuit from the PC?
Mine is right out of the COM port.

Check all those things and see if there is a common thread.

Great contest eh?

73, Don AA5AU