[WriteLog] WL with KAM XL

Ford Peterson ford@cmgate.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:24:32 -0500

From: "Dean Gramling"

> I realize that MMTTY is a much better way to do rtty during the contests
but...

Dean:

I use an older KAM Plus unit.  I find that if the KAM is properly integrated
in the software, I get much better results than using a sound card.  Why?  I
can only speculate but here is my opinion...

The KAM's audio filtering is much better than any sound card.  Better
dynamic range for one thing.  I can actually copy one of two stations
occupying nearly the same frequency within the passband of my rig.  Also,
the rig actually keys true FSK.  It's hard to believe but eliminating all
the audio circuits in the transmitter does reduce distortion, and I think it
shows up in better print on the other end.

I've been looking at the new KAM to replace my aging KAM Plus.  I'll be
interested to know if you get this resolved.  Perhaps the fix is to send
your unit to WL and do all of us a great service.  Service?  Did somebody
say service?  Too bad Kantronics isn't on his reflector...

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com