[WriteLog] WL with KAM XL

Carter Grabarczyk k8vt@ameritech.net
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:27:54 -0400

Ford Peterson wrote:

> From: "Garry Shapiro" <garry@ni6t.com>
> To: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
>

> It seems like your comment is really radio driven.

Yes, this is absolutely true.

> The KAM provides logic 0
> and 1 to the radio, which keys my radio's VFO (or LO).  No mic gain controls
> to mess up.  No compressors/emphasis/etc. to distort.  Garry, there is
> nothing hooked to the mic circuit whatsoever.  The audio stages are not an
> issue.  I'm not sure I understand your comment.

What he is referring to is the fact that SOME radios, although they have
an auxiliary jack marked "FSK", this jack is really connected to an
*INTERNAL* AFSK generator; i.e. you are not plugging your TNC into the
mic jack, but you are STILL going through the audio chain, it's just not
obvious. This is as opposed to the Ten Tec Omni VI FSK aux jack which
takes the ones and zero voltage and apply it to a varactor that shifts
the frequency directly (also known as "true FSK").

Hope this clears it up a bit...

73/Carter/K8VT