[WriteLog] Another CW keying issue

K4SB hamcat@directvinternet.com
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 18:14:02 +0000

Joe Stepansky wrote:
> 1.  Using a 9-pin connector, I took a line from pin 4 (DTR), through a 1K
> resistor into the base of a 2N2222 transistor.
> 2.  Took a line from pin 5 (GND) to the 2N2222 emitter and on to the ground
> of the key jack.
> 3.  A line from the 2N2222 collector to the positive terminal of the CW key
> jack.

I would take a look at the DTR voltage after loading the program and
see what it's voltage is. Win98 sets DTR HIGH after initialization,
which would explain why your
rig keys. Also, I have found a 1K resistor puts a little too much
voltage on the base of the 2N2222. I use 3300 to 4700 ohms and it
works fine.

You may be just burning out the 2N2222. If the Collector to Emitter
junction shorts, the rig will key.

73
Ed