[WriteLog] Band map feature

Ford Peterson ford@cmgate.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:14:28 -0600

I was working 40 M at a M/M this weekend.  I had the graveyard shift.  1.5KW
into a 4 element full sized 40M yagi at 180' was at my fingertips.  It was
impressive and depressing to hear all the EU stations calling CQ and getting
them fairly strong.  Endless calling resulted in them consistantly calling
CQ right in my face.  Humbling...

As I was working the band, it occurred to me that a useful tool in times
like this would be to be able to post my own local spots to the band map.
The cluster was posting new spots (albiet very few).  As I tuned the band,
alot of time was wasted just waiting to copy the guy's call.  Most stations
had been worked before but the band map could have allowed me to organize
the band on my screen.

Consider an alternative to the Cntr-W.  Suppose a Cntr-P (for "post") was
available.  If the CntrP could perform the duties of CntrW and also put the
callsign on the band map, with the appropriate color, at least I could have
band neatly organized so that my S&P efforts were more fruitful--i.e. not
waste time on stations already worked.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com