[WriteLog] CQWW RTTY VE multiplier corrections

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au@bellsouth.net
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 19:14:47 -0500

Jerry,

You are correct!  It appears the namedmul.ini files needs some adjusting
to adhere to the correct 13 Canadian multipliers as stated in the rules:
VE1, VE2, VE3, VE4, VE5, VE6, VE7, VE8, VO1, VO2, VY1, VY2 & VY0

Not sure how this ever got to be.  I always thought it was Provinces and that
VE1-NS and VE1-NB were separate multipliers but according to the rules I am
reading on the RTTY Journal & SM3CER websites, they are not separate multipliers.
Another one of those "Learn something new everyday" things I guess.

I altered my namedmul.ini file to read under the [CQRTTY] section to read:

VE1=VE
VE2=VE
VE3=VE
VE4=VE
VE5=VE
VE6=VE
VE7=VE
VE8=VE
VO1=VE
VO2=VE
VY1=VE
VY2=VE
VY0=VE

Then under the [CQRTTY-ALIAS] section I replaced the present aliases with
the following for Canadian aliases:

NS=VE1
NB=VE1
VE1=VE1
NF=VO1
VO1=VO1
LAB=VO2
VO2=VO2
QC=VE2
QU=VE2
VE2=VE2
VA2=VE2
ON=VE3
ONT=VE3
VE3=VE3
VA3=VE3
MAN=VE4
VE4=VE4
SA=VE5
SK=VE5
VE5=VE5
ALT=VE6
ALB=VE6
VE6=VE6
BC=VE7
VE7=VE7
VA7=VA7
NWT=VE8
VE8=VE8
YU=VY1
YT=VY1
VY1=VY1
PE=VY2
PEI=VY2
NU=VY0

I then tested it and logged VE1AA as NB and it was a triple mult (normal VE+VE1+Zone 5),
then logged VE1AB as NS and it was NOT a mult., which is correct.  Before modifying the
namedmul.ini file it scored two multipliers, which is not consistent with the rules.

BEWARE - Changing the namedmul.ini file is no big deal as long as you get it right.
You should make a backup copy of namedmul.ini somewhere on your hard drive before
changing namedmul.ini which is located in the c:\ham\programs folder (if you are using
the default subdirectory).  Do not create a new file called namedmul.ini or try to write
over the present one using a text file.  It won't work.  Make the changes to the original
namedmul.ini file only.

Someone with a little more experience in changing namedmul.ini needs to check my
work thoroughly to make sure it is OK.  I've not had to change this file much.

Once this list is verified, copy and paste the above lists over the existing Canadian multiplier
and alias entries.  In the meantime, I'll keep testing to make sure all the VE's score correctly.

The only difference it makes is that WriteLog will score the contest correctly when the
corrections are made to namedmul.ini.  But since the log is sent in Cabrillo, if you choose
not to change namedmul.ini then it won't make a difference to the log checker.

Now the big question is whether or not WT4I Tools scores it correctly.  I'll know that
in a few minutes.

Thanks again Jerry, big find.
Don AA5AU