[WriteLog] what is the rtty duty cycle

Dirk Desloovere d.desloovere@skynet.be
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:47:13 +0200

Dear Bill,

The rigs manual is the guideline but some experiences :

When I running my TS850 and external power supply in contest I used to run :
100 W  S & P
75 W in cq ing mode
when sending qtc  such as in WAE  I reduced the power to 60W.

Following Kenwoods manual the 850 S can handle 100 % duty cycle .... but if
your power supply can take the cycle depends on the construction.
I have added a extra fan on my power supply an older ICOM PS 15.

Some friends of my put a digital temp.meter in the air flow of the rig (or
on the heatsink) and reduce the power to a safe level when rtty ing.
The collectorcurrent Ic reading is also a intresting parameter for heating
up the finals :  reducing the power by 25 % reduces Ic far than 25 %.

But now I have a yaesu mark V in use : the manual states  200 W  3 min. on
3 min off.,  and  75 W for endless rtty ing.
Measuring the temp of the heat sink after 3 min at 200W will give me a max.
temp.

Ohter parameters : temp in the shack, room around the transceiver for air
circulation, ...

I have no idea abt amps, I have  never used amplifiers in contests.    The
max. temp of the seals can be found in the datasheets.

Regards,
ON4ADZ
DIRK