[WriteLog] Writelog and CW keying under Windows XP

Bill Axelrod bill at axelrods.org
Thu Apr 24 10:00:25 EDT 2003

Help please.

I just upgraded my shack computer to a Dell 8250 running Windows XP and, no
surprise here, am having trouble getting the CW keying to work using ltp1.
The problem may be a simple configuration that I haven't found yet. Here's
the problem:

First - YES, I read the manual and searched the reflector before starting.
But I didn't find the help I needed.

Following the advice on the WriteLog web site and in the help files, I first
downloaded and installed UserPort on the new computer.  I did that before
UserPort IAW the instructions.  I have been using the same ltp to rig
connection cable and adaptor for years.

Then I loaded a brand new original copy of WriteLog followed by the upgrade
to 10.40.

I started WriteLog, and went to setup to setup rig control and CW keying.
Rig control for my FT1000MP via the serial port works just fine.  But
WriteLog indicates ONLY ltp2 is available under parallel ports.

Well, I only have one parallel port and that is ltp1.  I tried changing the
settings on UserPort and when that didn't work, I tried changing the
writelog.ini file to reflect the actual ltp1 settings.  None of that made
any difference.  Even with no port information in the writelog.ini file,
WriteLog reports ltp-2 available while ltp1 is grayed-out.

And yes, I tried the ltp2 setting for grins but, of course, it didn't key
the rig.

After finding no joy with getting WriteLog to key through ltp1, I loaded my
non-contest logging software, Logic6 and the driver they use for parallel
port keying under XP.  That works fine - finds ltp1 and keys the rig
smoothly.

So, any good ideas out there?  Is there another configuration setting I'm
missing?

Thanks and 73...   Bill K3WA bill at axelrods.org