[WriteLog] A couple of suggestions/questions

Andrew Roos andrew at exinet.co.za
Mon Dec 1 13:42:17 EST 2003

I'm a novice contester and have been using WriteLog for about 6 months now
in local contests, the Commonwealth contest, IARU, WPX and most recently
CQWW CW. There are a couple of things I would like to be able to do, but
can't find out how to - it might be that I'm missing something obvious, in
which case please tell me, or it might be that these features aren't
implemented.

1. Auto save. It's a bit distracting to have to keep typing "control-S" to
save the log. How about an auto save option every 20 QSOs, instead of just a
reminder?

2. The %H function in the CW memories inserts text from friends.ini when a
matching callsign shows up. It would nice to have the option only to send
this the first time the callsign is matched. Otherwise if you work a station
on 4 bands you end up saying hi four times which gets a bit much! I would
like the option to specify that the %H only takes effect if the matching
callsign is not already in the current log.

3. The sizes of the optional windows (like super check partial, rates etc)
are a bit annoying because (a) many of them can't be resized; and (b) the
heights are all different so they don't look great when arranged next to
each other at the top of the screen. I would like to be able to resize them
because I run my contest PC in 800 x 600 mode, and I can't quite fit the
windows I like on in a single row across the screen. (These are super check
partial, band summary, S&P memories and rates). However if I could resize
the super check partial slightly then they would all fit nicely!

4. Oh, by the way, is the promised support for the Commonwealth contest
still coming? It's not in 10.42c yet :)

All in all great software though, easy to use and has served me well.

Andrew ZS1AN