[WriteLog] W5XD Keyer & CW F-keys

Jamie Dupree ns3t at arrl.net
Mon Dec 1 22:51:31 EST 2003

Writeloggers - maybe some of you can help point me in the right
direction.  I got one of the multi keyers just before Thanksgiving
and put it to use in the CQ WW....finally doing the SO2R thing.
It performed nicely after I finally figured out all the cables, port
changes, connections, etc.

The only thing that failed me was any F-key CW messages
that were longer than my callsign and the staccato r5995 report.

Calling CQ became a three button deal - because the CW
would quit after CQ CQ DE or it would just skip over the
longer CQ and head straight for TEST, etc.  It was a bummer
in that I really wanted to call CQ and try the second radio
thing - but it was hard to do when you couldn't just hit F/CQ.

My first thought was that this is clearly an RF problem.  So,
post-contest, I tore apart my setup, isolating all the cables
from any of my transmission lines, etc.  I also had a bunch
of toroids laying around from previous RFI bouts and put
those to work on every cable.  Both radios and their tuners
are grounded, etc.

I put my IC 706 on low power (10 watts) into a dummy load,
and still - the same thing happens.  I alternately pulled the cords
leading to one radio or the other - nothing changed.  Jacking the
power to 100 watts does not change where the CW messages
cut out or jump around.

So, now I'm stumped.  Where should I look next?
Thanks to all for your suggestions and advice in advance.

Jamie NS3T