[WriteLog] RFI

Barry Merrill barry at mxg.com
Tue Dec 2 11:25:22 EST 2003

I completely disagree with your claim:

"The ferrite chokes ARE a good idea, but not necessarily on the network cables.
For HF, you need a lot of turns around one of the bigger toroids commonly
used for baluns (#43 material). The clamp-on chokes won't do much below VHF."

As I've reported numerous times, the sole source of cw keying lockup
with Writelog and PC generated CW in my second story radio shack was
the LAN cable to the ThinkPad, and five snap-on ferrites on the LAN
cable at the Thinkpad eliminated the rfi.

 specifically, http://www.surplussales.com/FerSplit-1.html

  (currently $6.95 per pair of the 1/2 inch),
  "All made with 43 material, effective DC-200 MHz".

RFI hit the computer at about 275 watts output from the Alpha;
each snap-on ferrite I added raised the threshold of rfi by
about 300 watts before lockup, so with five I can run full
1500 watt output.

Barry, W5GN