[WriteLog] Re: issues--HOME key

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Tue Dec 16 14:59:27 EST 2003

Wayne wrote:

>Experience tells me not to jump into changes without first being sure
>that the request is really coming from the majority and not a vocal
>minority--it is even more painful to have new releases change the
>behavior back after protests with a new one.
>
>So I am going to sit on this one for a bit

That's very wise, because Wayne knows he has to keep two quite different
groups of users happy.

People who have migrated to WL from DOS contest software want to keep
the keyboard shortcuts they already know. (Doesn't *everybody* know that
Crtl-Alt-footswitch-Z = Start Coffee Maker?)

But as WL continues to take over the world, there will be more and more
new contesters who don't have those burned-in reflexes. To them, these
so-called "shortcuts" are arbitrary and confusing. They want WL to
behave as much as possible like a standard Windows program - which means
that keys like Tab, Shift-Tab, Home and End are definitely *not* up for
grabs.

Wayne has to squeeze WL's QSO automation into the gaps between those
conflicting demands, and he's done a very good job. WL automatically
does the right, smart thing in almost every situation, and it's so
smooth, we may not even notice it.

However, there are still a few places where we frequently have to do
things manually, which WL could maybe do for us...

The following are a few *suggestions* for discussion. Not everybody will
need these facilities, and some will actively not want them, so I think
they should all be *options*.

The whole objective is to avoid wasting keystrokes, and to avoid jumping
too often between the keyboard, mouse and rig.

1. Fast restart: automatically reopen the last-used logfile and place
focus in Callsign entry field - with no hands.

2. Return focus to Callsign entry field after a certain time of
keyboard/mouse inactivity (already under discussion).

The next group of suggestions are about smarter support for swapping
between S&P and Running:

3. Automatically detect when Running (e.g. if the last >3 QSOs were all
on the same TX frequency) and then do at least two things:

a) Save that Run frequency to a new dedicated button in the S&P memory
window, so you can quickly jump back - and whenever you use that button,
WL recognizes that you're back into Run mode
b) While in Run mode, have the option to clear RIT automatically when
each QSO is logged
c) There are also other things that could behave differently between S&P
and Run, but I'll leave those for someone else...

4. If you QSY to a frequency saved in an S&P memory, and successfully
log a QSO, then WL leaves you stranded on a frequency for which you have
no further use (it's someone else's run frequency). At present you'll
have to tune away manually, unless you also have some other frequencies
stored in WL or in the rig.

It would be *very* useful if WL had the option to automatically QSY back
to the stored Run frequency after successfully completing an S&P QSO.
This option could be offered as: Always QSY / Never QSY / Ask each time
(using the Ask option need only cost you one keystroke).

I'm aware that we can already do all these things using the keyboard,
mouse and/or transceiver controls... but that wasn't my point. The aim
is to have WL do a few more things automatically, that we presently have
to do manually, so that contesting with WL becomes even smoother.

I'm also very aware that none of these things is essential. They're just
thrown in for Wayne to consider - but only he can decide. On the other
hand, Wayne, if you just happen to find yourself in those parts of the
source code...  :-)

--
73 from Ian G3SEK