[WriteLog] Multi-Keyer Problems

Richard L. King k5na at texas.net
Wed Dec 17 00:23:11 EST 2003

Thanks Wayne.

This is a extremely helpful post and I will print it out to keep it handy.

The assignment of rigs by clicking on the radio (top and bottom) buttons
was something that I had completely missed before. When I followed your
directions, the setup of the radios was clear and fail-proof. I had used
those buttons before to set frequencies, etc; but I never realized that the
com ports needed to be set there in addition to the setup -> ports area.

It is amazing that I could eventually get it to work before by messing with
radio right/left and setup/ports manipulations.

As for the PTT problem, I will set the radios to the no "COMM PTT" setting
and see if that fixes the problem. It may take a while to say for sure
since the problem was intermittent before.

I have now been playing with the settings and have found that with the
radio's COMM PTT off (on the two MkV radios), the CW PTT set to "On LPT pin
16/COMM RTS", and "PTT to CW Delay" set to 50ms; then I am able to key both
radios without losing the first dot or dash of the first character sent.

I got these settings by trial and error and I am a little confused why I
needed to make a LPT selection to make the radios key the way I wanted them
to. I don't have a LPT connected to anything on this new computer running
XP and the LPT reference confuses. The other combinations of settings
causes me to lose the first dot or dash on at least one of the radios.

If anyone ever taught a "Dummies for Writelog" class, I would sign up
immediately to attend.

Wayne, thanks for the timely response and the good information.

73, Richard

k5na at texas.net