[WriteLog] WL holding my computer hostage!!!

Eric Hilding eric at hilding.com
Fri Dec 19 15:13:00 EST 2003

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Dean M. St. Hill wrote:

>   If you expect any help from anyone, you first need to simply set out the
> problem, giving as much facts as possible.

Dean:

I thought I numbered the items but did omit the OS.

>   What operating system are you using?

WIN98SE

>   What exact files are you trying to trim?? WL has files it records from the
> radio or msg2.wav etc.

No...files I created and then plugged into the dialog fields <myfile.wav>,
etc.

>   I believe you are doing something wrong within CoolEdit. I work in radio
> and TV production and I have tried to emulate the problem you mentioned.

Well, I have been in radio and TV production a long time myself...use
SAWStudio on my Desktop, and various other programs.  I am not a novice at
working with .wav files and audio.

Since I am also seeing underlined characters on the screen (2 places) that
others are not, I'm wondering if it might be in the v10.43f I have...or
maybe even the runtime.dll version.

>   I believe the recordings of a contest may be slightly different.

Once again, these are created .wav files, not contest recordings.

>   As a long time user with no problems with the software I get pretty upset
> with comments like yours and it takes a big effort to try to help, when by
> your own actions and utterances, I'm led to believe you don't want help, but
> just want to sound-off.

Sorry, that is not the case.  I think just more frustration when I
experience multiple problems with a program which has been in existence
for some time.

>   Like others, I too tried your email address. Advice: fix your filters. If
> I'm being rejected for trying to help, you're not very likely to attract
> much help. Now are you???

Sorry, but if you knew the HORROR show I've had with email including
100,000 plus forgeries of one of my own domains and all the rejects,
believe me, you would take "drastic" action too.  mail to:
writelog at contesting.com reaches me, although for some reason, Wayne's
usually ends up in one of my virus filter folders on the Unix.

Personally, I believe Forum Board formats like Invision Board, PHPBB are
more "state of the art" for things like online tech support, etc. with software
because there can be numerous categories established.  In fact, I've set
several up myself PHP/MySQL myself and they are what most major software
vendors use for servicing customers in these modern times.

Once again, it might be v10.43f and whatever runtime.dll combo that is
part of the problem here...I dunno.

73...