[WriteLog] codec performance, isolation transformers

Barry N1EU n1eu at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 18 08:08:57 EST 2003

I find the mpeg3 16kbps/11khz 16bit mono encoder under WinXP provides
excellent playback with weak signals and very efficient file size
compression (~7MB/hr ?).  I assume it was installed with the OS/Media Player
but I also installed CoolEditPro and that might have provided the codec.

IMHO, RS isolation xfmrs are fine.  A while back I did frequency sweeps of a
few xfmrs, and unless you're doing hifi ssb and need the very lowest
frequencies, the RS xfmr does a good job.  I notice no distortion products
with them.  If you want to take a step up, I recommend the xfmrs that W2IHY
sells for $10.

73,

Barry N1EU
www.n1eu.com