[WriteLog] Check Call Window - OK?

Garry Shapiro garry at ni6t.com
Sun Feb 23 15:37:04 EST 2003

I am not an opthamologist, and the following observations are subject to
correction by someone more knowledgable.

I recall a special issue of Scientific American on the human eye a few years
ago which included an article on color blindness. At that time, there was
the familiar Ishihara Color Blindness Test, administered to military
recruits and to school kids---where one either did or did not see numbers on
a mosaic backdground-- and red/green color blindness was discussed briefly
in all the high school biology textbooks, usually with a lame
black-and-white photo of a traffic signal. However, the article revealed
that most instances of color blindness (which I think occurs mostly in
males) involved nothing as dramatic as a flat inability to differentiate red
and green, which occurs but is relatively rare, if I recall.

Most color blindness involves inability to differentiate "earth" tones
combining gray, green and yellow and is rather more subtle. In my own case,
I looked at the article's accompanying illustrations and realized that I was
among those affected. That in turn answered another question I had had for
some years. As a rabid fly fisherman since the late 1960's, I had examined
color plates in Ernest Schwiebert's seminal "Nymphs", which the author
himself had painted and which contained the subaquatic forms of a great many
insects in meticulous detail. I had stared at dozens of insects that
appeared, to me, identical, and had wondered why this was so. Now I
knew---they were all different, but I could not differentiate them.

I don't think too many folks will have a problem with saturated primary
colors used as identifiers.

Garry, NI6T