[WriteLog] Converting a disk to NTFS

Bob McCormick W1QA writelog at W1QA.COM
Wed Jan 22 11:08:34 EST 2003

> I have been following the NTFS post with interest
> since I have been trying to build a logging computer
> system that maintains compatibility with the old
> DOS world as well as with the new stuff.
> I want to be able to run CT or TR if a guest op
> insists on it, while still being able to have the
> latest capabilities with WriteLog.
>
> So I want serial and parallel ports as well
> as USB and I even wanted a ISA slot for some
> legacy cards.
[snip]

Indeed early recommendations from Microsoft for
installing Windows NT based systems (which the
Windows 2000 and Windows XP operating systems
are based on) was to create a small, FAT based
boot partition.  (Small is relative I guess ...
in today's terms, that could be hundreds of
megabytes - whereas hundreds of megabytes was
the size of system disks when NT was released!)

A second partition (not bootable) could then
be placed on the drive (typically D:) ...
and you can "install" Windows NT/2000/XP to that
partition.

This is often called a dual-boot setup ...
because the NT/2000/XP operating systems can
provide you a boot menu (its in boot.ini in
the root of the C: or boot drive) ...
and you can choose MS-DOS, Windows 9X, etc.

For me - there's still too many interactions
that can happen with this ...

If you're working with a home brew computer ...
or one that has some expansion room, here's
an idea:

I use IDE removable drive cages - primarily
because I do a lot of beta testing of software.
You can find cages through numerous sources ...
on the street they can be found now for as low
as US $15 to $20.

One drive canister could have MS-DOS or
Windows 9X on it ... another could have Windows XP.
Pop the drive you want to boot into the system ...
and voila: it runs whatever system you want!

Another benefit (especially if you don't mind
collecting drives):  you can setup another removable
drive to do quick/easy disk image copies.

Most systems can accommodate a 5.25 removable
drive enclosure ... and there's enclosures
that work fine today with ATA-100 7,200 RPM disks.

Bob W1QA