[WriteLog] extra chraracters in mmtty solver in 1.62

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 25 13:46:52 EST 2003

I also went back to 1.62 but for reasons other than the extra characters.
The extra characters are not actually being transmitted.  They are being
looped back to your screen.  I think in 1.63 there is a loopback parameter
you can turn on or off (not LOCAL ECHO).  I remember turning it off
in 1.63 and the extra characters went away.

There are problems with 1.63.  To the point where they are not releasing
just the 1.63 engine.  If you want just the MMTTY engine, only 1.62 is still
available.

Today in the BARTG Sprint I'm using a Belkin F5U103, that was graciously
donated to me by Steve, AI9T.  The F5U103 is a USB-to-Serial converter
that was questionable as to whether it successfully generates FSK.  Testing
it strictly as an FSK generator with WriteLog and WinRTTY, it would NOT
generate FSK.

However, using the MMTTY plug-in and setting the FSK/USB parameter to
"C: Limiting Speed", it does indeed generate perfect FSK.  It's worked perfectly
so far.  I also have my priority set to "Highest" on that computer.  I had to
set it to "Higher" on the other computer because when it was set to "Highest",
there was a short lag time and steady character from the time the transmitter was
keyed to the time the buffer was sent.  Changing the priority to "Higher" fixed it.
I don't have that problem on the computer running the USB adapter.

I had not been able to use the MMTTY plug-in on that particular computer (the
one using the Belkin) before as my main RTTY screen because MMTTY would
lock up on transmit.  So I had to use my DXP-38.  However, I'm extremely pleased
with the results (so far) using the Belkin and the fact that I can transmit from the
Rttyrite screen using MMTTY (using dual receive, still have the DXP-38 decoding
in 2nd Rttyrite windows on both computers).

This will probably become part of my set up for WPX now.  It frees up a COM
port on my 2nd computer for possibly running a 3rd radio.  I've run SO3R before
but it was always difficult.  Maybe I'll migrate back into it.  I don't know.

73, Don AA5AU